Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Sunday 11 May 2014

Night Walk At MacRitchie Reservoir (09 May 2014)

The weather was nice and I decided to go to the MacRitchie Reservoir for a night walk. When I reached the place, I accidentally found a part of MacRitchie Reservoir that I have never been before. The place looked pretty untouched and I decided to explore the place instead of the usual trail. There were a number of spiders at the place and I found this interesting spider with an egg sack.


The first beetle at the "new" place was a Leaf Beetle (Colasposoma auripenne).


Near to the Leaf Beetle was a commonly encountered Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis) feasting on a flower.


Moving further I had a surprised find of a Tiger Beetle (Cicindela aurulenta) resting on a leaf.


On a tree was a small 3 mm Darkling Beetle. This type of Darkling Beetle is very commonly found on trees in our parks and nature reserves.


On the same tree with the small Darkling Beetle was this lovely Darkling Beetle (Strongylium erythrocephalum). Interestingly, I found another of this Darkling Beetle further down the "trail".


The next Darkling Beetle looked the same as that of the earlier Darkling Beetle but it is double in size at about 6 mm.


The path led to a area where there was a massive pile of fallen bamboo trees. On some of the bamboo trunks were several of this type of a beetle larvae.


On the same bamboo pile was this Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus quadriguttatus).


Chewing away on a bamboo was this large 15 mm Darkling Beetle.


Moving actively on some wild cinnamon leaves was this small 5 mm Ground Beetle (Pentagonia marshalli).


It was almost time for me to go and as I make my way to the "exit" I came across a fig tree that has a several beetles on it. The first one I found was this Ground Beetle (Coptodera marginata). There was a tiny unknown beetle next to the Ground Beetle.


On another part of the fig tree was this first-time-encountered Fungus Weevil.


The last beetle for the trip was this pair of Weevil Beetle.


This trip was unexpectedly interesting as I managed to find a number of beetles at this "new" location.

No comments:

Post a Comment