Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 12 October 2013

Morning Walk At Venus Drive (12 Oct 2013)

The weather looked great for a walk and since I have not been to Venus Drive for many weeks, I decided to go there for some beetle actions.

To much of my disappointment, the spot where I usually find the different Leaf Beetles was badly disturbed and damaged. The tall bushes and plants where many of the Leaf Beetles were found were cut down and there were signs of human construction activities around the place.

Sadly, I was not able to find any of the resident Leaf Beetles at the place.


The first beetle that came into view was this interesting looking Fungus Weevil. This is a first-time-encountered beetle.


Moving on, the track some how looked different from what I remembered the place to be, it was very much brighter than the previous time I was there. I noticed that there were quite a number of trees were cut down. I am hoping that it is not due to the construction of an expressway that was rumoured to be happening soon.

Anyway, I decided to take a look at the place and found this lovely small (~5 mm) Net-winged Beetle (Dictyoptera aurora). It was very alert and I have to chase after it before it allowed me a minute to photograph it.


On a nearby fallen tree was this interesting looking beetle larvae. Wonder how the adult beetle looked like.


Near to the beetle larvae were these Fungus Beetles, busily munching on the newly grown bracket fungus.


On another fallen tree was this interesting looking beetle larvae.


A surprised find was this bright Ladybird Beetle (Illeis koebelei). It was busily running along the fallen log. Photographing this small beetle was really a challenge.


The weather suddenly changed and the sky became cloudy. Rumbling of thunders could be heard from a distance. Just as I was contemplating whether to end the trip before the rain, this small ~4 mm Fungus Weevil flew onto a leaf in front of me. This is another first-time-encountered Fungus Weevil Beetle.


The sky started to drizzle but it was not heavy enough to penetrate the thick tree foliage above. Just then I found this small 3 mm beetle slowly climbing up a plant. I often notice this little beetle in large number after the rain.


The drizzle stopped and I decided to stay and move on further. Coming to an open area where a few trees were cut down. Interestingly the place is overran by a large patch of air-potato plants. Just I was looking out for Leaf Beetle that can be found around air-potato plants, I spotted this pinkish Fungus Beetle at a distance. Knowing that this beetle was exceptionally alert I decided to zoom in to photograph it. Just when I was about to snap the shot, it flew off. I have included this badly taken shot to record what I have encountered during the trip.


The sky started to rumble again and the thunders sounded very much closer. Just then I found this big (~ 15 mm) Net-winged Beetle (Dictyoptera aurora) taking refuge under some leaves.


Moving quickly on, I found another beetle larvae on  a tree trunk.


The surrounding was becoming darker due to the imminent rain and just then I found this colorful Leaf Beetle (Callispa dimidiatipennis) moving quickly along a blade of palm leaf, perhaps looking for shelter from the impending rain.


Moving quickly on, I saw something at the corner of my eye and found this interesting Fungus Beetle. This is the first time that I encountered this beetle at Venus Drive. All my encounters with this beetle were at the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve.


Moving quickly forward so as not to be caught in the rain, I saw a metallic flash across the path and found this metallic green Tiger Beetle. On normal days this type of Tiger Beetle is highly alert to movements, but may be because of the impending rain it remain rather still for me to take some good shots of itself without flying away.


Nearing the end of the trail, I found this Spiny Leaf Beetle (Dicladispa armigera) on a blade of grass. Just then the siren for trekkers to leave the trails was sounded. The sound of the loud siren, together with the much louder thunders prompted me to end the trip.


Just before I reached the exit of the trail, I found this Darkling Beetle clinging on to a leaf. This was a surprise find as this it is a nocturnal beetle. This is the second time I came across this beetle in the day time.


Despite the wetness of the place, I am glad that I can still find interesting beetles and two first-time-encountered beetles.

No comments:

Post a Comment