Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 27 June 2015

Morning Walk At Venus Drive (27 Jun 2015)

The walk was slightly different as I am having my best friend Cameron and his daughter Samantha with me. Samantha is doing a project on spiders in her university studies and so I gladly asked her to join me on the trip. On the other hand, my friend Cameron is not really a critters-loving type but he came prepared with camera and a GPS device - this is how far fathers would go for their children. :)

I have chosen Venus Drive for the walk as it will have a higher chance of finding spiders. Here's one of the few spiders that we encountered during the trip.


While waiting for Cameron and Samantha to arrive, I managed to catch a few shots of beetles. Here's the first beetle for the trip, a Leaf Beetle (Lema diversa).


Coming to an Elephant Ear plant, I am glad to find an Ant-like Flower Beetle (Anthelephila cyanea).


While waiting, I decided to go to a part of Venus Drive that I had not explored before. Upon reaching the spot, I was pleasantly surprised to find a first-time-encountered Leaf Rolling Weevil. This specimen was entirely black with no color patterns on it. Sadly it was very alert and flew off before I can get a good shot of it.


Near to the weevil beetle was another fabulous find - a Narrow Necked Leaf Beetle (Lilioceris quadripustulata). It has been a while I last encountered this beetle.


The first beetle after meeting up with Cameron and Samantha was a Tumbling Flower Beetle (Glipa malaccana).


At the same spot with the Tumbling Flower Beetle was a Fungus Beetle (Ohtaius lunulatus).


Next to the Ohtaius lunulatus Fungus Beetle was another Fungus Beetle (Episcapha quadrimacula) hiding in a crevice in a tree branch.


Further on the same tree branch was another Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus quadriguttatus quadriguttatus).


I was a bit distracted as I was trying to look for spiders while looking for beetles at the same time. Nevertheless, I am glad to find this metallic blue Leaf Beetle.


Near to the Leaf Beetle was another Leaf Beetle (Argopus brevis) resting on its food plant (Clidemia hirta).


As we move further down the trail, my eyes caught sight of this Leaf Rolling Beetle. Just as I was trying to get a better shot of the beetle, it flew off into the bushes.


On a tree near by was a first-time-encountered Fungus Weevil.


There was a woodpile along the side of the trail and on it was a Fungus Weevil.


Further down the path was a bronze color Leaf Beetle (Graphops curtipennis).


On a low bush near by was a Net-winged Beetle. It was a wonderful find as it has been a while since I last encountered a Net-winged Beetle.


We are almost at the T-junction that leads to the exit and the Tree-top Walk trail when I found a small bush with several of this Pintail Beetles.


Coming near to a rubber tree, this lovely white Ladybird was found under a leaf.


Near to the Ladybird Beetle was a small 2 mm Leaf Beetle.


At the base of a tree was this small 2 mm bright orange Fungus Beetle.


As we came to the T-junction, we decided to go slightly further towards the Tree Top Walk path. On one of the low tree branches by the side of the path was this 3 mm hairy beetle.


The highlight of the trip was the encounter of this first-time-encountered Click Beetle. I would have missed it if not for the keen eyes of Samantha who spotted it on the underside of a leaf.


On the way towards the exit, an active beetle larvae was seen crawling up and down the length of a palm leaf. Noticed that even as a larvae, it already has some mites on it.


Near to the beetle larvae was a first-time-encountered Pintail Beetle.


It was about a stone's throw from the exit that this first-time-encountered Weevil was found moving up and down the side of a small tree. This beetle has exceptionally long forelegs and looked pretty strange.


At the exit I was delighted to find this lovely Long-horned Beetle (Chloridolum thomsoni).


The last beetle for the trip was a Ladybird Beetle (Chilocorus circumdatus) found under a large Elephant Ear leaf.


The trip was surprisingly fruitful with several first-time-encountered beetles found. I was not as focused as usual but thanks to Samantha's sharp eyes, the number of beetles found was still considerably good.

No comments:

Post a Comment