Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Tuesday 1 October 2013

Morning Walk At Sengkang Riverside Park (01 Oct 2013)

I am doing this week's blog early instead of the usual weekend as I am going on an overseas trip this week.

I just bought a Tamron AF70-300 mm telephoto cum macro lens yesterday and was itching to test it out.


To kill two birds with one stone, I decided to go to Sengkang Riverside Park to test out the new lens. This is the first time I visit the place for photographing beetles and was not certain if it will be a wasted trip.  The weather was exceptionally warm and the trees at the park are not particularly big and hence there are not much shades.


The first beetle that greeted me was this 4 mm Leaf Beetle. It took me a while to get use to the telephoto zoom and macro function.


While I was still fiddling with the new lens, this Ladybird Beetle (Henosepilachna cucurbitae) came into view. The initial thought was to simply make use of the built-in macro function but I was still not use to taking macro from a further distance, hence I resorted to using the Raynox DCR250 lens with the Tamron lens.

[Afternote 14012014 - I have wrongly identify this Ladybird Beetle, it should be Epilachna admirabilis. ]


The weather was extremely hot and there were hardly any shades at the park. I was getting over heated and decided to take a break at a nearby shelter. While at the shelter, I found a first-time-encountered Leaf Beetle also taking a break from the hot sun.


Near to the Leaf Beetle was another Leaf Beetle (Aulacophora indica) having a great time munching on a leaf. There were a number of this beetle in the same place, possibly all of them were taking shelter from the hot sun.


After walking for a long while without spotting any beetles, this Ladybird Beetle (Henosepilachna cucurbitae) was a welcome sight.


The weather was overly hot for me to bear and I decided to cut short my trip and turn back. Just before I reach the exit of the park, this 8 mm Weevil Beetle flew right into my path. This is another first-time-encountered beetle.


Along the path there were many of this Leaf Beetle (Aulacophora indica).


Although this was a short trip, it was considered fruitful given the fact that I managed to get a good feel of the new Tamron lens and to find two first-time-encountered beetles. The place looked promising as besides the above beetles I also came across a Rodolia sp. Ladybird Beetle and a Tortoise Beetle (no photograph taken as they were hyper-sensitive and flew off before I can get a good shot of them).


No comments:

Post a Comment