Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 20 August 2016

Night Walk At Punggol Waterway Park (19 Aug 2016)

For this week's night walk I decided to go to the Punggol Waterway Park. When I reached the place, I was taken aback by the horde of people gathered at the park. Yes, the Pokemon Go craze has hit Punggol Waterway Park!


Thankfully the place that I am going is far from the Pokemon Stop and I was able to do my macro-photography in peace. The first beetle for the trip was a Chafer Beetle (Maladera castanea).


The spot that I was at was full of knee-high grass. I am surprised to find several type of Chafer Beetle munching on the grass. Here's a Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus) working hard on a blade of grass.


Near to the Adoretus compressus Chafer Beetle was another commonly encountered Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis).


The highlight of the trip was the encounter with this lovely Ladybird Beetle (Coelophora inaequalis).


A stone's throw away was another surprise find-  a Ladybird Beetle (Epilachna admirabilis).


Further away from the Ladybird Beetle was a Leaf Beetle. At a cursory glance, it looked like the Lema diversa Leaf Beetle. Upon closer examination while preparing the photographs for this blog, I noticed that the front legs are reddish-orange in color, which is lacking in Lema diversa Leaf Beetle. Also, the elytra of this beetle is black as compared to the bluish color of the Lema diversa Leaf Beetle.


The place was exceptionally wet and hence the number of beetles encountered was pretty miserable. After a bit of walking without encountering any beetle, this Chafer Beetle (Maladera orientalis) was a welcome sight.


The next beetle was a Leaf Beetle that looked very much like the entirely orange color Leaf Beetle, except for the reddish elytra of the beetle.


The last beetle for the trip was an orange Leaf Beetle that looked like the previous Leaf Beetle except that it is entirely orange.


Although the number of beetles encountered on this trip was small, I am glad to be able to find two Ladybird Beetles. The small number of beetles found could possibly due to the surprisingly wet vegetation. I will likely to come back to this place as it holds potential of yielding more beetles,

No comments:

Post a Comment