Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 4 March 2017

Night Walk At Sengkang Riverside Park (03 Mar 2017)

It rained heavily around evening and feeling a little lazy, I decided to go to the nearby Sengkang Riverside Park for my weekly macro photography session. It was more than 3 years that I last been to the place and much has changed since then.The place was wetter than expected and many parts of the park were water locked or muddy. Nevertheless, I decided to continue with the trip since I am already there.

There were several of this Cotton Stainer Bug (Dysdercus decussatus) on a Sea Hibiscus plant (Hibiscus tiliaceus). They will appear in large number on Sea Hibiscus plant when the plant flowers. Interestingly, many people mistook this bug as beetle and asked me to identify it.


The first beetle was a Chafer Beetle (Aprosterna pallide) which was attracted to my light and landed on the grass. It was so skittish that it flew off after one photograph.


It was after walking for a while that this pair of Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus) were found on a Clidemia hirta plant.


More walking before I found a small tree with several of this 3 mm Darkling Beetle.


It was after more walking before I came to a small tree with several for this small 3 mm Darkling Beetle.


The last beetle for the trip was a small 3 mm Leaf Beetle resting on a leaf of a Sea Poison plant (Barringtonia asiatica).


As expected the trip was a washout given the earlier rain, but it may still be worthwhile visiting again on good weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment