Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Wednesday 26 July 2017

Night Walk At Upper Seletar Reservoir (26 Jul 2017)

I happened to be free in the night and so decided to go for a quick walk at Upper Seletar Reservoir to get use to my new camera set-up. To my dismay when I reached the place, it looked like it just rained not too long ago and the vegetation at the place were pretty wet. Notwithstanding I pressed on to search for beetles among the wet vegetation.

To my pleasant surprise, I found a Stick Insect that I have not encounter for a long while.


The first beetle found at the place was a 10 mm Ground Beetle.


It took a while of searching before I found several of this Tiger Beetle (Cicindela aurulenta) resting on some low bushes.


After some walking, I came across several fallen trees and on a dead vine near to the fallen trees was this 4 mm first-time-encountered Darkling Beetle.


Near to the first-time-encountered Darkling Beetle was this roundish 3 mm Darkling Beetle.


More walking before finding several of this commonly encountered Darkling Beetle on a rotten log.


Coming to a patch of Clidemia hirta plants, I was glad to find another 5 mm first-time-encountered Chafer Beetle. This looks like the metallic bronze color Chafer Beetle that I encountered previously, but differs in its size and the more slender shape of its body.


More walking without finding any beetles until I reached a fallen tree overgrown with white fungus mushrooms, where this Darkling Beetle (Promethis valga) was found.


On another tree nearby was this small 1 mm Fungus Beetle. Please pardon the not so good photograph taken as I am still trying to get use to the new camera setup.


On a tree further down the trail was this 3 mm Darkling Beetle.


The last beetle of the trip was a large 10 mm metallic bronze color Chafer Beetle mentioned earlier.


Although the number of beetles encountered on this trip was relatively small compared to my other trips, I am happy that I am still able to find two first-time-encountered beetles.

No comments:

Post a Comment