Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 4 August 2017

Night Walk At Pasir Ris Park (04 Aug 2017)

HW and I decided to go to Pasir Ris Park for our regular night macro photography session. The week has been hot and dry, but it did not prepare me for what I saw at the place. The vegetation at the place were all withering and if the sky still doesn't rain, I am very sure all those plants that I saw would all dry up and die.

With the dry weather and the withering vegetation, it was not surprising that the number of critters encountered dropped tremendously. Nevertheless there are still critters around, albeit that they were very much harder to find. Here's a small Stoliczka's Crab Spider (Thomisus stoliczka) resting on a Siglap Grass (Zoysia matrella).


The first beetle for the trip was a small 1 mm Fungus Beetle, hiding in a depression on a small tree. Please pardon the not so good picture taken as I am still trying to get use to photographing using my new Sony A6000 camera.


The next beetle was a commonly encountered Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis) encountered after a while of walking.


More walking before finding this small 8 mm Leaf Beetle. The beetle looked pretty dirty with the tar-like stuff on it.


More walking without finding any critters, until coming to a small tree with this lone Darkling Beetle on it.


Walking in the hot weather was not so pleasurable and I was sweating buckets before finding this Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus) on a low bush.


Some more walking before I found this tiny 1 mm beetle on a small tree. I am not sure what beetle it is but it resembled a small Ladybird Beetle (Scymnus sp.)


The trip was getting boring as not only we did not find any beetles we also barely find other critters. After more walking I finally found this Chafer Beetle munching on a leaf.


Near to the small Chafer Beetle was a much larger Chafer Beetle (Phyllophaga marginalis).


Sadly our usual spots where we would find beetles were turning out empty, until we came to a small tree with several of this 4 mm Darkling Beetle.


More walking without finding any beetles, I was hoping to find the colony of Tiger Beetles (Cicindela aurulenta) at a particular location but sadly the colony was no where to be found. It was only after walking for a while that I found several of this Tiger Beetle on a small plant.


The last beetle for the trip was a small 5 mm Leaf Beetle.


The trip was a disappointment due to the super dry weather. I hoped that rain will come soon, if not many of the critters will be lost like during the year when we had super dry weather. At the same time, more work needs to be put in by me to get use to the new camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment