Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Sunday 17 November 2013

Morning Walk At Pasir Ris Park (16 Nov 2013)

The weather was surprisingly dry in the morning, so I decided to drop by Pasir Ris Park to take some beetle photographs. The purpose of the trip was mainly to practice taking photographs using my Tamron 70~300mm lens, and at the same time check out the place to see if it is a good place for future beetle photography actions.


The first beetle was a Tortoise Beetle (Laccoptera nepalensis). This is a first-time-encountered beetle and it has been a while that I came across a Tortoise Beetle.


Around the same vicinity was this Ladybird Beetle (Henosepilachna implicata).


Moving to a tall grass patch, a small 4mm first-time-encountered Leaf Beetle was found resting on a leaf. On first glance, it looked like the Sweet Potato Leaf  Beetle (Colasposoma auripenne) but with subtle differences upon closer examination.


Moving to a path along side a mangrove, several of this Tiger Beetle (Cicindela aurulenta) were seen sunning themselves.


Moving on, I came to a boardwalk that spanned over the Pasir Ris mangrove. I was pretty hopeful that I can find some interesting beetles, but sadly I didn't find any for a long while on the boardwalk.

Feeling bored, I started to notice the Weaver Ants that were on the handrail of the boardwalk. Lo and behold, I found this first-time-encountered Flower Chafer Beetle being immobilised by several Weaver Ants. Not wanting to see the demise of this small 4mm beetle, I decided to intervene and managed to free the poor beetle, which promptly flew off into the mangrove.


Moving further down the boardwalk, I found this small beetle larvae on the side of the boardwalk handrail. It is pretty odd to find this on the handrail but nevertheless it was a welcomed sight after some walking without seeing any other beetles.


After not finding any other beetles after walking for another 30 minutes or so, I decided to go home. Just when I was leaving the mangrove area, a Flower Chafer Beetle was seen on a leaf next to the exit of the mangrove.


Although I didn't find many beetles at the place, it was still good as I managed to find three first-time-encountered beetles. At the same time, I had a better feel of the Tamron lens for day-time macro photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment