Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 31 October 2015

Night Walk At Pasir Ris Park (30 Oct 2015)

I have been looking forward to the night to test out my DIY filter using the TTL mode of my speedlite flash due to the not so good results of the manual mode in the previous trip. I decided to go to the Pasir Ris Park as it is a convenient place for me. When I reached the place, I was surprised to find the place not as dry as expected; the vegetation looks very much alive as compared to my previous trip to the place.

I am glad that the resident Painted Bronzeback Snake (Dendrelaphis pictus) is still around the area.


An interesting encounter was this 15 cm centipede having its dinner on a blade of grass.


The first beetle encountered was a Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis). Many of this type of beetle were encountered during the trip.


Close to the Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis) was another commonly encountered Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus).


After walking for another 10 minutes without finding any other beetles (except the Apogonia expeditionis and compressed Adoretus Chafer Beetle), I was glad to encounter this Apogonia aequabilis Chafer Beetle.


More walking without finding any beetle, until I came to a small tree where there was a small colony of this type of beetle.


Some more walking until I reached the place where there is a healthy colony of Tiger Beetles (Cicindela aurulenta).


On a small tree near to the Tiger Beetle was a small 3 mm Darkling Beetle.

On the same tree were several of small 2 mm beetles.


On a nearby tree was a lone Fungus Weevil (Eucorynus crassicornis).


On the same tree were also several 5 mm Darkling Beetles.


The highlight of the trip was the encounter with this small 3 mm first-time-encountered cream colored Leaf Beetle.


Sadly, the place has some new constructions going on and a large portion is where I usually find different kind of beetles (especially Tortoiseshell Beetles). Nevertheless, I still managed to find this small 5 mm Sweet Potato Weevil (Cylas formicarius) on a plant.


The last beetle for the trip was this black and brown Chafer Beetle.


Although I was not expecting this trip to be fruitful, the results was worse than previous trips because of the constructions that were going on at the place. I sincerely hoped that the constructions would not destroy the habitat of the Tortoiseshell Beetle found at the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment