Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 24 February 2017

Short Walk At Punggol Park (22 Feb 2017)

I occasionally would pass by Punggol Park but it never occured to me to go there for my night macro photography session until now. This is a town park that has been around for more than 20 years, which is considerably the oldest in the Hougang/Punggol/Sengkang area.

Looking at the location and its popularity for joggers and bicyclists, I was not hopeful that the place would have many beetles. Nevertheless, I thought it will be interesting to give it a try this time round. As expected, the place was full of joggers even though it was about 8 pm when I reached the place.

Interestingly, there were many of this Banded Bullfrog (Kaloula pulchra) around the park.


The first beetle of the trip was a 5 mm Darkling Beetle which was encountered only after a while of searching.


More walking before finding a tree with several of this 3 mm Darkling Beetles.


Coming to a low bush, I was surprised to find this lone Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis) having its dinner.


On a small tree near by was this Darkling Beetle nymph.


More walking before I encounter this 3 mm Darkling Beetle on a layer of silk-like covering on a small tree.


More walking without finding any beetles until this Chafer Beetle (Aprosterna pallide) found on a low tree.


The last beetle for the trip was a small 1 mm Fungus Beetle.


This trip was as I have expected but I am glad that I can still find a few beetles on this trip. It is sad that the number of critters encountered is so small, especially so for an old town park.

No comments:

Post a Comment