Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 1 December 2017

Night Walk At Punggol Promenade Nature Walk (30 Nov 2017)

Today is Thursday and I happened to be free in the night, and so I decided to take a walk at the Punggol Promenade Nature Walk, taking advantage of the exceptionally fine weather. It has been raining almost daily through the week and so having a rain-less day is such a rarity during the monsoon season.

I was thrilled to encounter a 30 cm baby Black Spitting Cobra (Naja sumatrana) during the trip. While searching for beetles among the low bushes, I saw a black tail moving slowly into the bushes. There are not many terrestrial snakes in Singapore that are black in color, and so my first thought was that it can either be a Black Spitting Cobra (Naja sumatrana), Pink-headed Reed Snake (Calamaria schlegeli) or Sunbeam Snake (Xenopeltis unicolor). For those who are not familiar with snakes, the Reed Snake and Sunbeam Snake are non-venomous.

To get to the bottom of it, I gently pulled on its tail and got it out into the open. As I am aware that the snake can be a cobra, I was extra careful when I was handling it. A word of caution - please do not do what I have done as there is a high chance of being bitten if you don't know how to handle snakes or understand their behaviors. Regardless of whether it is a venomous or non-venomous snake, they all bite! It is only how readily they will bite when handled. Therefore, the best thing to do when you encounter a snake is to leave it alone and make a detour around it.


The first beetle for the trip was a pleasant surprise - a 10 mm Net-winged Beetle. I always like the bright coloration of the Net-winged Beetle.


Next to the Net-winged Beetle was a dark brown Chafer Beetle.


Further down the path was another commonly encountered Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis).


Near to the Chafer Beetle was a 5 mm Ladybird Beetle (Henosepilachna vigintioctopunctata).


Next to the Ladybird Beetle was a small fallen tree and on it was a lone 3 mm Darkling Beetle. The interesting thing about this beetle is the orange pattern on its elytra which is normally red in color. This is likely because it has emerged from a pupa not too long. 


Just a short walk from the Darkling Beetle was another surprise - a 10 mm Net-winged Beetle (Lycostomus porphyrophorus) on a blade of grass.


Less than a meter from the Net-winged Beetle was another Ladybird Beetle (Henosepilachna implicata).


Near to the Ladybird Beetle was a beetle pupa, likely that of a Ladybird Beetle.


The spot that I was at was exceptionally productive and I am happy to find this 5 mm Leaf Beetle.


The highlight of the trip was the encounter with this first-time-encountered 5 mm Fungus Beetle on a blade of grass just centimeter from the Leaf Beetle.


Nearby was a small Ladybird Beetle larvae on the underside of a leaf.


Time passed by quickly and it was almost time to call it a day. Just then I found this 20 mm Click Beetle. I cannot be sure but it looked like a Pectocera babai Click Beetle.


The last beetle of the trip was a lovely orange color Leaf Beetle resting on a blade of grass.


The trip was surprisingly fruitful even though the place is undergoing massive housing development. I guessed that I will frequent this place more often before all these nature spots are gone forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment