Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 9 July 2016

Short Night Walk At Punggol (08 Jul 2016)

I chanced upon a place in Punggol over the week and hence I decided to check out the place with my friend HW. Due to some unforeseen situations, we started our trip almost an hour later and thus making this particular trip much shorter than usual. Here's an interesting ant-mimic spider found on a blade of lalang leaf. It looked so much like the commonly encountered Golden Ant (Polyrhachis illaudata).


The first beetle was encountered at the place where I was waiting for HW. My eyes were drawn to a bunch of ants attacking an insect on the ground. Out of curiosity, I decided to take a closer look at it and I was surprised to find that it was a beetle.


I managed to rescue the beetle and discovered that it is a 6 mm Dung Beetle (Onthophagus phanaeides). What a wonderful way to start the trip.


After some walking, the first beetle that we encountered was a pair of mating Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus).


Near to the Chafer Beetle was a Long Horned Beetle which I initially thought that it was the Adoretus compressus Chafer Beetle.


While I was checking out a big tree, I noticed some movements at the base of the tree. I initially thought that it was a cockroach but it turned out to be a Darkling Beetle.


As I was scanning through the low vegetation for beetles, this lovely Net-winged Beetle popped out with its orangey-red coloration, against the green leaf. It was also while photographing this beetle that I was badly bitten by the small brown ants that I have been "complaining" about. Pardon the poorly taken photograph as due to the sneak attack by the ants, I was not able to get a proper shot of this beautiful beetle.


The place was full of different types of Chafer Beetles and here are the different ones encountered:

Chafer Beetle (Maladera orientalis).


Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis).


Chafer Beetle (Maladera casternea).


Chafer Beetle (Aprosterna pallide).




Although the trip was exceptionally short, we are still able to find a good number of beetles. This new place looked promising and I would surely go back in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment