Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 7 January 2017

Night Walk At Venus Drive (06 Jan 2017)

It rained last Friday and hence my friend HW and I was eagerly looking forward to catching some macro-photography actions this week. Around the later part of the afternoon, my heart sank when I saw dark clouds gathering but thankfully the sky cleared up when evening approaches.

When we reached the place, we decided to give our usual route a miss and take another route that has heavy human traffic in the day time. Here's an interesting critter encountered during the trip - an orange color Harvestman.


For this trip, I was testing out my twin flash set-up which at the end of the day still required a fair bit of tweaking in order to give me the results that I am looking for. Meanwhile, please bear with the not so good photographs taken on this trip.

The first beetle encountered for this trip was a 2 mm Darkling Beetle, commonly found at night on tree trunks.


While I was tweaking the flash set-up, HW called out to me and showed me this beetle. The identity of this beetle has alluded me for a while and I am still unclear what beetle is this. Do drop me a note if you know what family this beetle belongs to.


Not much actions until I came across this 10 mm Darkling Beetle (Ceropria induta) resting on a blade of grass.


While I was photographing the Darkling Beetle (Ceropria induta), HW called out and showed me a lovely Long Horned Beetle (Aeolesthes holoserviceus) which I have missed.


More walking without finding any beetle and I was glad to find this beetle larva on a small tree.


On the same tree was this pair of 2 mm Darkling Beetles.


The track was rather muddy and we have to take extra care in order not to end up with muddy boots and shoes. While we navigate gingerly through the pathway, I was happy to be able to find this Ground Beetle hiding on a small leaf.


More walking without finding any beetle and as I was toying with the idea to call it a day, several of this small 5 mm Darkling Beetle were found on a small tree.


We were almost wanting to turn back when I found this first-time-encounter Ground Beetle (Neocoptodera tetrapilota).


While I was photographing the Ground Beetle, HW found this lovely Darkling Beetle on a low bush.


More walking without finding another beetle until this small 1 mm Fung Beetle, found on a small tree.


On the same tree was this 3mm commonly encountered Darkling Beetle.


Just when we decided to turn around, this 15 mm  False Click Beetle was found at the base of a tree.


As we were walking back to the entrance, I found this Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus tetraspilotus) on a leaf.


Less than a meter away, HW found a Pleasing Fungus Beetle (Micrencaustes lunulata) feasting on a small toadstool. This was the last beetle for the trip.


Although the number of beetles encountered was not as expected, I am glad to be able to find a first-time-encountered Ground Beetle. From the number of beetles found for this trip, which was only about half of the usual number of beetles we found at Venus Drive, we decided not to take this route again when we next visit Venus Drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment