Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 16 February 2019

Afternoon Walk At Windsor Nature Park (16 Feb 2019)

The weather for the past few weeks have been extremely dry with very little rainfall. This is not a good thing as plants started to wither and die, and with them the critters that feed on them. My friend HW and I were at the Lentor Avenue the night before and the trip was a total wash-out as we didn't come across any beetles at all. This was so different from last week where we still managed to find a few beetles despite the dry weather.

I happened to be free in the afternoon and decided to give Windsor Nature Park a try as from past experience, the place would still be fruitful regardless of the weather. When I reached the place, my heart sank as the place was drier than expected. This reminded me of the extreme dry spell around February/March of 2014, where it didn't rain for weeks in Singapore.

Here's a photograph of the place, you can see how dry the place by looking at the leave litters on the ground.


Here's a photograph of a lovely looking Katydid that I encountered during the trip.


I do not know the reason but it could possibly due to the dying out of the ground covers and low bushes as I was able to find the Red Jungle Fowl (Gallus gallus) at several locations during this trip.


The first beetle encountered was the commonly encountered Tiger Beetle (Cicindela aurulenta) found at an open area. Notice how dry was the ground.


Sadly after walking for nearly 2 hours, I was not able to find any beetles. It was at the end of the trip that I found this Tiger Beetle (Cylindera versicolor) on a log. It was also the last beetle encountered for this trip.


The trip was a wash-out but it was not unexpected due to the extremely dry weather, and at the same time it was in the afternoon. From my experience, the chances of finding beetle in the afternoon is very low. Hoped the rain would come soon and we don't experience another dry spell as in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment