Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 18 August 2017

Night Walk At Pasir Ris Park (18 Aug 2017)

The weather was not very good as it rained heavily in the afternoon. Nevertheless, I decided to carry on with my weekly macro-photography session at the Pasir Ris Park as I was eager to try out my new flash diffuser.

The new diffuser is 25% smaller than my previous diffuser. The reason for the change is because of my new smaller and lighter Sony A6000 camera was put out of balance by the bigger diffuser, which was suited for the larger and heavier Sony SLT-A58 camera.

My friend Reynard decided to join me for this trip to Pasir Ris Park because his place of study is near to where I was going. Here's a picture of a small 20 mm Praying Mantis found at the place.


Not surprisingly, the first beetle for the trip was a commonly encountered Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis) on a thin vine.


Near to the Chafer Beetle was a small 4 mm Leaf Beetle found at a patch of low bushes,


After a bit of walking before this Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus) was found munching on a leaf.


Coming to the spot where several colonies of Tiger Beetle (Cicindela aurulenta) I found previously, I was disappointed to find only this single specimen. Not sure what happened to the colonies.


The highlight of the trip was a 30 mm Click Beetle, found by Reynard.


On a leaf of a Clidemia hirta plant was this Sweet Potato Weevil (Cylas formicarlus) with only 4.5 legs.


Near to the Sweet Potato Weevil was another Click Beetle (Pectocera babai) with  its fan-like antennae closed up.


More walking before finding several of this 2 mm Darkling Beetles on a small tree.


On the same tree was this well-camouflaged Fungus Weevil (Eucorynus crassiornis).

On another tree was a tragedy in action where a Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis) was attacked by a group of Weaver Ants (Oecophylla smaragdina).  This was a little odd as Chafer Beetles usually do not rest on tree trunks, which these Weaver Ants were found.


A stone's throw away was this large 25 mm Chafer Beetle (Phyllophaga marginalis) munching on a leaf.


Sadly on another tree was this Darkling Beetle being taken alive by another group of Weaver Ants.


The last beetle for the trip was a 3 mm Darkling Beetle hiding in a crevice of a small tree.


The trip was not expected to be fruitful, but I am still happy as I am able to test out my new diffuser which seemed to work well with my new camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment