Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 25 August 2017

Night Walk At Punggol (25 Aug 2017)

My original plan was to go to Windsor Nature Park but I was held up and left my house much later. As such I changed my plan to explore the West side of the Punggol Promenade Nature Walk. This is the other side of the walk which is not so frequented by people. I started off hopeful that I will be able to find some interesting beetles, but after several minute of walking I was horrified to find the West side was undergoing massive constructions. As a result, I decided to head towards the Punggol Waterway Park to see if I can catch some beetle actions there.

Here's a photograph of an interesting Stink Bug that looks like the Golden ant (Polyrhachis illaudata) at a glance.


The first beetle encountered after almost 30 minutes of walking was a Chafer Beetle (Maladera castanea).


More walking before finding a lone commonly encountered Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus).


Near to the Adoretus compressus Chafer Beetle was another Chafer Beetle.


It was rather disappointing to come across woodpiles and fallen logs, and yet didn't find any beetles on them. I was almost wanting to give up when I came across several of this lovely Darkling Beetles on a fallen tree.


After some walking I finally reached the Punggol Waterway Park. I was once again met with disappointment as the usual area where I would find beetles has also became a construction site. Fortunately, near by to the construction site were several of this Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis).


Time flew past quickly and it was time to call it a day, just then I found a small 1 mm Fungus Beetle on a small tree. I am particularly wanting to photograph this beetle as it will help me validate my macro camera setup. This beetle turned out to be last beetle for the trip.


This trip was a disappointment as the number of beetles encountered was very bad, nevertheless it was still beneficial as I was able to test out my macro photography setup.

No comments:

Post a Comment