Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Sunday 11 May 2014

Late Afternoon Walk At Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (10 May 2014)

I happened to be around the Bukit Timah area in the late afternoon and I decided to drop by the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve. It has been a while since I last visited the place as the crowd on Saturday morning at the place was really bad.


I decided to take the cyclist trail as it was late in the afternoon and the cyclist traffic would be sparse. I would not recommend taking this trail in the morning as it is rather dangerous since there many cyclists that use this trail. As expected the number of cyclists that used this trail at this time was about 7 in total over a 2.5 hours period. The first beetle that I found was this Leaf Beetle (Gonophora pulchella). I may have stumble upon a colony of this Leaf Beetle as I counted about 10 of them on a ginger plant.


On a plant nearby was this lovely Leaf Beetle.


Moving further into the trail, I found this Leaf Beetle (Colasposoma auripenne).


While I was photographing the Leaf Beetle, a Ladybird Beetle (Epilachna admirabilis) flew into a bush nearby.


Moving deeper into the cyclists trail, a metallic blue colored Leaf Beetle was found resting on a leaf under a shade.


Near to the Leaf Beetle was another Leaf Beetle. It looked like the Colasposoma auripenne Leaf Beetle but a miniature version at about 2 mm in size. This is a first-time-encountered beetle.


On a ginger plant was a first-time-encountered Weevil Beetle. This particular Weevil Beetle has a white dot on its back.


Moving to a patch of wild pepper plants, I found a number of Leaf Beetles resting under the shade of a tree. One of the Leaf Beetles was this Lema rufotestacea.


On a leaf nearby was this Lema diversa Leaf Beetle.


On a ginger plant near to the wild pepper plants was a surprised find of this colorful Leaf Beetle (Lema quadripunctata). It has been a while I last came across this lovely orange colored Leaf Beetle.


Moving further down the path, I found another Leaf Beetle hiding in the shade of a large ginger leaf.


It was almost time for me to turn back and so I decided to travel on an another path that will lead back to the car park area. On the way I found this Leaf Beetle with bluish color legs resting on a badly damaged leaf.


Moving on, I found this pair of Fungus Beetle on a fallen log.


The return path was not as fruitful as the path that I came from and there was not too many beetles that I found along the way. Looking under a leaf I found this hairy beetle  resting from the hot afternoon sun.


Coming to a fallen tree, I found this tiny 4 mm Fungus Weevil.


The last beetle was a Fungus Beetle that I found under a log near to the "exit" of the trail. I am glad to have found this beetle as it was years that I last encountered this beetle.


This was a relatively short trip of about 2 hours but it was fruitful given that it was a hot afternoon. It was great to be back at the Bukit Timah Nature Reserve and to find so many different types of Leaf Beetles.

No comments:

Post a Comment