Beetle@SG Website

Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore

Friday, 8 August 2014

Late Afternoon Walk At Venus Drive (08 Aug 2014)

I just sent in my Sony camera to the service center to repair the hotshoe which is giving me problems with external flash, so I am back to my old Canon camera with Raynox DCR-250 and built-in flash. I decided to go to Venus Drive in the late afternoon as I do not want to be "adjusting" to photographing with the old camera in the dark.

The first beetle that I encountered was a tiny 2 mm Ladybird Beetle (Cryptogonus orbiculus). Please pardon the slightly off-focus photograph as I had quite a bit of problem photographing this beetle using the camera's power zoom, especially in the wind.

The next beetle was the Ant-like Flower Beetle (Anthelephila cyanea) that was hiding under a large leaf of an Elephant Ear Plant.

Moving into the trail, I was sadden by the sight of all the damaged tree logs on the ground - clear signs of the damages done by wild boars in the area.

Among the debris of the tree log was the remains of a Bess Beetle (Aceraius grandis). Not sure if this is the works of the wild boars.

On a plant near by was a lovely Ladybird Beetle (Epilachna admirabilis).

Moving into the "clearance", I found a Leaf Beetle (Argopus brevis) hiding under a leaf.

Among the low bushes, I found another Leaf Beetle (Graphops curtipennis) which has a bronze coloration.

As mentioned before, whenever I am at the "clearing" I would always try to photograph the white Ladybird Beetle. Photographing this beetle using my old Canon camera was a challenge as the focusing distance is very short and this type of beetle is very skittish and alert, and would fly away when they sensed movements.

Resting quietly on the side of a tree was this Soldier Beetle, which blended very well into the tree bark until my camera flash brought it into focus.

There was a large fallen tree in the "clearance" and on it was this Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus quadriguttatus quadriguttatus).

Near to the Fungus Beetle was a Fungus Weevil and it remained motionless despite the camera flashing at it.

Just at this point, the sky started to drizzle. Fortunately it was not so heavy and it stopped after about 5 minutes. Learning from my past experiences, I started looking for this small 3 mm beetle that always come out after the rain.

The sky didn't clear after the drizzle and it looked like it would rain again and heavily. So I decided to turn back. Just then I found this Fungus Beetle (Episcapha quadrimacula).

On the way to the "exit" of the trail, I found this Darkling Beetle at the base of a young plant.

The last beetle was a first-time-encountered Weevil Beetle. It was on a fallen tree at the side of the trail.

This was a very short trip due to the unexpected rain. It was not particularly fruitful but given that it was in the late afternoon, it was considered to be pretty good as the chances of finding beetles in the afternoon is usually not high.