Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 13 February 2016

Morning Walk At Kent Ridge Park (13 Feb 2016)

I was running some errands around Kent Ridge area and so I decided to go to Kent Ridge Park for a walk. It has been a long time since I last went to the place because of the relatively low number of beetles found at the place. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a go again to see if I can find more beetles this time.

I have been looking forward to this week's trip as I am eager to test out a new speedlite flash that I bought (Yongnuo 560 IV). I have been rather frustrated with the Sony HVL-F43M that I have been using due to its constant overheating, even only after several shots. The flash overheat so often that it was almost impractical to have a good photography session without me changing a few sets of battery for the flash. The frustration has driven me to the point to try a manual flash, thus ditching the TTL feature of the Sony speedlite. Although it took some time to try out the flash, it was worth the effort as I didn't experience any overheating for this trip.

Enough talk about my speedlite flash, here's a photograph of a caterpillar of the Plain Nawab Butterfly (Polyura hebe plautus) encountered at the place.


The first beetle for the trip was a first-time-encountered 2 mm Weevil Beetle. It was busily moving among the stigma of a flower.


The next beetle was a Leaf Beetle (Aulacophora frontalis) resting on a young leaf.


There is a large patch of ferns at Kent Ridge Park where I found several of this shiny Leaf Beetle (Colasposoma auripenne).


After walking for about 2 hours and found only 3 beetles, I decided to call it a day. As I was approaching the car park, I saw a small patch of flowering plants and decided to check them out. To my surprise, I found a 2 mm first-time-encountered Ladybird Beetle species.  


Nearby was another tiny (< 2mm) Ladybird Beetle (Cryptogonus orbiculus).


The last beetle for the trip was also a Ladybird Beetle. It looks like the Crytogonus orbiculus Ladybird Beetle except that this beetle has a black "face". Not sure if it is the same Crytogonus orbiculus Ladybird Beetle.


The trip was a disappointment and I guessed that it will be another long while that I will come back to this place again.


No comments:

Post a Comment