Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 17 September 2016

NIght Walk At Punggol Waterway Park (16 Sep 2016)

It has been raining on Friday nights for the past few weeks and hence I was not able to go for my regular macro photography session. According to the weatherman, we will have a wet September month and more rain are expected for the rest of the month. Fortunately it was dry in the afternoon despite a heavy downpour in the morning.

This week my walk is at the Punggol Waterway Park. Feeling a bit lethargic,  I decided to keep to the manicured walking path, staying away from the wilder part of the park that I have been visiting. Here's an interesting patterned Froghopper that I encountered along the path at the place.


The first beetle for the trip was a Chafer Beetle (Aprosterna pallide) that are still quite common.


The surprise for the trip was this orange Leaf Beetle that was resting under a blade of lalang grass.


The next beetle was a commonly encountered Chafer Beetle (Adoretus compressus) that can be seen in large numbers on the leafy plants throughout the pathway.


There were not many beetles encountered as I walked the pathway along side the "river" (a man-made canal) until I came to a low bush with this Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis).


On a tree nearby was this pair of mating Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis). This is the first time that I find this type of beetle on a tree.


I was almost wanting to call it a day after walking for a while without finding any beetle when this lone Chafer Beetle (Maladera castanea) was spotted on a big leaf.


The last beetle for the trip was this small skittish Sweet Potato Weevil (Cylas formicarius) at a patch of Beach Morning Glory plant (Ipomoea pes-caprae) which seemed to be the food plant for the beetle.


The trip was not fruitful as compared to my previous trips to the place. Nevertheless, I was mentally prepared to not find too many beetles for this trip when I decided to take the "manicured" path. With the lesson learnt from this trip, I will unlikely to take the same manicured path again when I next visit the place, and stick to the wilder side of Punggol Waterway Park for more beetle actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment