Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Wednesday 10 May 2017

Morning Walk At Bukit Timah Nature Reserve (10 May 2017)

It is public holiday in Singapore and so I decided to go to Bukit Timah Nature Reserve with my family for a walk. On the way to the place, dark clouds started to gather and just when I parked my car, it started to rain cats and dogs.

The rain stopped after about 30 minutes and we proceeded to walk to the summit.


All the vegetation were drenched to the bone and so I was mentally prepared for a totally washout trip.


As expected, the only critters that I came across were spiders, which interestingly were out in the open immediately after the rain. Here's a shot of a spider that looks a bit like an alien with 4 arms and 4 legs.


More spiders in the open.


Another type of spider with its water beaded web.


As we walked up the steep slop of Bukit Timah's main trail, I was pleasantly surprised to find a Pleasing Fungus Beetle (Micrencaustes lunulata) munching on a white fungus mushroom. Noticed how wet the beetle was.


No other beetles was encountered until we were on our way back down Bukit Timah when I found this Pleasing Fungus Beetle on a small fallen tree branch. This looked very much like a Micrencaustes lunulata at a cursory glance, but differed in the pattern on the pronotum and an additional pattern on its elytra. After some searching on the internet, this beetle could possibly be Triplatoma gestroi Pleasing Fungus Beetle.


I am glad to be able to find two beetles despite the rain, and I will surely come back to this place in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment