Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 1 September 2018

Night Walk At Admiralty Park (31 Aug 2018)

It has been more than 3 years that I last went to Admiralty Park. One of the main reasons for not going there was because of the red ants infestation (Morning Walk At Admiralty Park (21 Mar 2015)).

I happened to be on leave and so decided to go there for a walk since it is not so convenient for me to go there on a working day. Although it rained in the early afternoon, I decided to continue with my plan. Here's an interesting looking caterpillar encountered at the place.


As expected, the vegetation at the place were drenching wet, and so was my hope of finding any beetles for the trip. It was after a long while of walking before I came across this 5 mm Fungus Weevil (Eucorynus crassicornis) on a small tree. I am quite surprised to find it on a healthy tree as I usually find them on rotten logs or dying trees.


On another tree nearby was this small 3 mm Darkling Beetle.


More walking before finding this lone Chafer Beetle (Apogonia expeditionis) feasting on a leaf.


The highlight of the trip was the encounter with this lone 12 mm Tortoise-shell Beetle (Aspidimorpha miliaris) hiding under a leaf.


More walking without finding any beetles until coming to a small tree with this small 2 mm Darkling Beetle.


On the same tree was another 5 mm Darkling Beetle.


Moving further, I am happy to find this 4 mm Leaf Beetle on a  Clidemia hirta plant.


On a tree nearby was a 4 mm Darkling Beetle.


I was almost nearing the entrance to the park, when this Chafer Beetle was found on a low bush. At a cursory glance, the beetle looked like the Apogonia expeditionis  Chafer Beetle but upon closer look its body is much broader and flatter than that of the Apogonia expeditionis.


Although there were many fallen logs along the trail, majority of them do not have any critters on them. Coming to a fallen log near the entrance, I was thrilled to find this 20 mm False Click Beetle.


The last beetle for the trip was a pair of commonly encountered Chafer Beetle.


Although the weather was not ideal but I am glad that to still be able to find a number of beetles, especially the Tortoise-shell Beetle. Sadly, the place is still infested with the small red ants despite the place having undergone a massive renovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment