Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Saturday 15 September 2018

Night Walk At Riffle Range Trail (14 Sep 2018)

It has been a long while that I last went to Riffle Range Road for my night macro photography session, so I decided to go there for this week's session. Here's a photograph of a lovely Orange Leafhopper (Bothrogonia addita) which seemed to in abundance at the place.


The first beetle of the trip was a pleasant surprise - a Long Horned Beetle (Aeolesthes holosericeus) which I have not come across for a long while.


Near to the Long Horned Beetle was a small fallen log where this small 4 mm Ground Beetle (Pericalus tetrastigma) was running about on it.


As I walked along the Riffle Range Trail, I was greatly disappointed by the sights of the invasive Air Potato plants. Much of the trail were covered by the plant and many of the original vegetation were strangled or overtaken by the plant. From my past trips, I didn't find any critters feeding on it and neither did I find any beetles on them.

Here's a photograph of a leaf of an Air Potato plant. The Air Potato plants here were huge. I have placed a Singapore 1 dollar coin on the leaf to show its size. Sadly, many of the Air Potato plants here are of the same size as that in the photograph. Hoped NParks would do something about the Air Potato plants invasion in our nature parks.


Near to Ground Beetle was a small tree where this 5 mm Darkling Beetle was found.


Moving on, I was thrilled to find this 5 mm Hister Beetle. I rarely come across Hister Beetles on my many years of macro photography.


Coming to a patch of ginger plants, I was excited to find this first-time-encountered Ground Beetle.


There were many fallen trees at the place, and some of them were really huge. Interestingly, most of them were without critters, let alone beetles. As I scan through the various fallen trees, I was glad to find this two 1 mm Darkling Beetles on one of the fallen trees.


On the same tree was this 5 mm Fungus Beetle.


More walking without finding any beetles until I came to a small tree where this 3 mm Darkling Beetle was found.


On another tree nearby was this 12 mm first-time-encountered Darkling Beetle (Amarygmus metallicus). I particularly like the bronze coloration of its elytra.


More walking before finding this 3 mm Checkered Beetle resting on a small tree.


At the base of the tree was this Chafer Beetle resting on a dried leaf.


The last beetle for the trip was a Fungus Weevil (Stiboderes impressus) on a large fallen tree.


The number of beetles encountered on this trip was below expectation. Nevertheless, I am glad to be able to find two first-time-encountered beetles on this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment