Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Friday 12 October 2018

Late Morning Walk At Chestnut Nature Park (06 Oct 2018)

I happened to be running some errands around Chestnut area in the late morning and so I decided to drop by the Chestnut Nature Park for a short macro photography session. This is the first time that I am there and do not know what to expect.


The first beetle for the trip was what looked like a Net-winged Beetle hiding in the shade. I am not sure if this is a Net-winged Beetle as it lacks the netted patterns on its elytra.


A stone's throw away was another Net-winged Beetle.



Next to the Net-winged Beetle was a first-time-encountered 8 mm Fungus Beetle.


After some walking, I was pleasantly surprised to find this black Net-winged Beetle. Although this is not the first time that I encountered this entirely black Net-winged Beetle, it is the first time that I am able to get a good photograph of it. The netted pattern on this beetle is very obvious and showed why it is called Net-winged Beetle.



Sadly that's all the beetles that I came across during the walk. This was possibly due to the time and also the super hot weather, which has persisted through the entire week. Coming to a part of the Northern Hiking Loop where there were several of this scary looking signs along side the trail. Not sure if they are still valid.


The interesting thing about the Chestnut Nature Park is its clear distinction between the Hikers' trail and Bikers' trail.


Sadly, there were many illiterate bikers that used the hiking trail. When I was there for about an hour or so, I counted about twenty or so bikers riding in the hikers' trail. Beside being inconsiderate, the bikers are also a danger to hikers using the trail. I confronted several of the bikers and all sort of lame reasons were given to justify them using the hikers' trail.

I later called up NPark to bring to their attention about the unlocked gate (which I suspect the bikers were using to get onto the hikers' trail) and was given the reason that the gates are not locked in case of emergencies.  I intentionally brought this up in this post to alert hikers planning to go to the Chestnut Nature Park to look out for errant bikers even though they are on the hikers' trail. Guessed that it is no longer safe to walk in our parks. :(

Here's a shot of some of the bikers that rode on the hikers' trail. Incidentally, I confronted the person in red cycling attire and he told me that he was not riding but pushing his bike.  He continued to push his bicycle and constantly looked behind to see if I am watching. Sigh...


The Chestnut Nature Park looked promising but will have to be extra careful to look out for illiterate errant bikers! Although this trip was a short one, I am glad to still be able to find a first-time-encounter Fungus Weevil and to be able to photograph the black Net-winged Beetle.

No comments:

Post a Comment