Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Sunday 14 April 2013

A Quick Morning Walk At Venus Drive (13 Apr 2013)

After running some errand in the morning, it was already 10 am plus. Nevertheless I decided to go to Venus Drive to hopefully catch some beetle actions there. The place was pretty dry due to the dry and hot week before.


The first beetle that caught my eyes was this Spiny Leaf Beetle (Dicladispa armigera). Focusing this small beetle was a challenge especially in the non-stop breeze. I only managed to take a few shots before it flew off.


The next beetle was a surprise as I didn't expect to find a Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus quadriguttatus quadriguttatus) in the late morning.


Near to the Fungus Beetle was this tiny (<2 mm) beetle. Small but beautiful.


On a near-by tree trunk was this lone beetle larvae.


Moving into a slightly shaded area, I found this beetle. It is about 3mm in size and looked like a Net-winged Beetle.


Near to the Net-winged Beetle was a tree that has quite a large patch of moss growing on it. Hiding among the moss was this 2mm beetle.


My first Leaf Beetle (Lema rufotestacea) for the day.


Moving further into the trail, I came across this hyperactive Tumbling Flower Beetle (Glipa Malaccana). It only came to rest for a moment when it met another Tumbling Flower Beetle.


The sun was almost at its highest and the heat was getting intense. Just when I was thinking to myself that there should not be any beetles in the open, there flew this lovely metallic blue Leaf Beetle. Another hyperactive fellow like the rest.


Moving on, I came to a tree which I termed as snow-flake tree. The reason for calling it this name is because of the tiny wood dust that drift down from the top of the tree. The wood dust is likely to be caused by some wood boring beetles.

Hiding in the shade at the base of the tree was this Fungus Beetle. At a glance, it looked very much like the earlier Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus quadriguttatus quadriguttatus), but upon closer examination, it seemed to be a different Fungus Beetle.


Along the track there was a big fallen tree, overgrown with different types of fungus mushrooms. Resting on a piece of dead leaf on the tree log was this Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus politus). I particularly like like the shape of the elytra of this Fungus Beetle.



It was almost at the end of the trail that I came across this 2 mm beetle. It was tough photographing this beetle in the breeze. Pardon the quality of the photograph as I almost gave up taking any photograph of this beetle in the non-stop breeze.


The highlight of the trip came almost at the end of the trip. I happened to past by the Fungus Beetle Paradise spot and decided to check it, but knowing in my heart that I will unlikely to find Fungus Beetles in the hot noonday sun.

I am glad that I did as the detour gave me a chance to photograph this small (4 mm) lovely Fungus Beetle.


Although the trip was a short one, it was still a fruitful one especially because of finding two Fungus Beetles that I have not come across previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment