Beetle@SG Website


Please check out my website Beetles@SG for identification of beetles found in Singapore http://davidmoh1313.wix.com/beetlesg

Sunday 12 May 2013

A Morning Walk At Venus Drive (11 May 2013)

I finally got my hands on the Sony SLT-A58 camera and was ready to try out the new camera. Going to Venus Drive is a sure way of catching some beetle actions and Venus Drive I went.


The first beetle that came into view was this Leaf Beetle (Lema cyanella).  I didn't realize that taking photograph of this beetle with my old camera was a breeze until I struggled to take some decent close up with the new camera. I ended up making use of the "Auto" functions of the camera and the results were a bunch of not so sharp photographs or photographs shot with high ISO setting.


A surprised find was this Flower Chafer Beetle found on a vine under a shady part of the trail. In order not to miss the opportunity of photographing it, I hurriedly took out my old camera and took some zoomed photographs of it without noticing that it was on "Auto" mode and the ISO setting was high. This resulted in pretty grainy photographs.

Just when I wanted to take some close-up shots with the new camera, it flew off into the thick bushes.


Coming to some fallen logs, I found a few Fungus Beetles still out on the bracket fungus. This is probably due to the wet morning and overcast sky. From the photographs taken, I would need to spend more time playing with the new camera. Here's one of the better photographs out of a dozen of not so nice photographs.


A Fungus Beetle (Eumorphus politus) was moving quickly along the fallen tree. This is when I notice that I really need to be acquainted with the new camera. Many blurred shots were taken.


Walking into the open part of the trail where there were very little tree canopy overhead, I found a hyperactive Tumbling Flower Beetle (Glipa malaccana). As the new camera does not have a good zoom, I quickly took out my old camera to take a zoomed photograph of the beetle.


To test out the camera's flash, I found this tiny (~2 mm) beetle at the shady base of a big tree. The flash was very harsh especially over the wet tree trunk. More learning to go.


A shot of another tiny beetle on the same tree trunk.


Some beetle larvae on a tree trunk. The depth of field needs a lot of work.


Coming to some low bushes, I saw a whitish beetle in flight and followed it until it landed. To my surprise, it was a Leaf Beetle that I saw on the internet but have not come across before. This time round I was trying out manual focusing. This resulted with many slightly out-of-focus photographs.


Moving on to another fallen tree log, I found this Fungus Beetle crawling on it. Photograph was shot with natural sunlight.


Another Fungus Beetle on the same log but this one was hyper-active and was moving around at a very high pace. I had a hard time trying to manual focus and move the camera quick enough to follow this small beetle.


Moving along, I came across this lovely colored beetle larvae on a tree trunk. Like the color contrast of the larvae.


Coming to another shady part of the trail, a lovely beetle was resting on a leaf. This turned out to be harder to photograph than I thought. Not many acceptable shots. And for this particular photograph, the flash was once again too harsh.


Passing by a pile of chopped up tree branches, I found this Fungus Beetle. Guessed that shooting under natural sunlight makes a lot of difference for the photograph.


A busy Leaf Beetle was found on a rattan tree leaf and it highlighted the difficulties in macro photographing a small moving subject.


Moving along the trail, at the height of ankle was this lovely colored beetle. Looks like a Leaf Beetle. Shot in "Auto" mode. The photograph looked a little grainy, probably due to the high ISO setting in shaded conditions.


Not too sure what is the reason, there were a number of Net-winged Beetles found during the trip. Here's a shot using the "i-Auto" mode.


This was a real challenge as I was trying to photograph this tiny beetle (<2 mm) under natural sunlight. The photograph was shot in "Auto ISO" mode and the camera ended up taking a series of different shots with each snap. Interesting.


An interesting looking beetle shot under natural light. Out of a few of the photographs taken, only this badly photograph is usable as a record of this beetle for the trip.


The highlight of the trip was coming across this lovely furry blue beetle (Trichochrysea hirta). Read about it on the internet and finally got a chance to photograph it myself. Well, the usual problem of depth of field cropped up for photographing this beetle.


The last beetle that appeared before the end of my trip was this Leaf Beetle (Lema diversa).


Although the photographs taken on this trip was not too good, finding some interesting beetles made the trip; albeit I need to work a lot more on the camera settings.


No comments:

Post a Comment